Pages

Friday 10 June 2011

Whanaungatanga Story

I sniffed the fresh air at the very point of my nose. I smelt the burning smoke of a hangi. I was drifted away in the fresh points of the earth. My eyes opened as if I were in paradise. I was shocked to the tip of my eyes. I saw kaumatua having a hui. Old women weaving harakeke. The joy that I felt was unspeakable. The kids running around made me want to jump down from the sky.

As a shadow walked closer to me, I was unsure who it was. As she spoke to me her voice was a sweet cuddly one. She offered me a night at her house. As I entered the room the warm air was filling my lungs. The damp ground made it harder for me to sit, but the lady showed me around the house. She said her name was “Tania.” She had never had any kids. When the sun rose upon the middle sky, I heard a tohunga bless the harakeke.

As the time machine was transferring me back to my time, I thanked Tania for giving me this place to live. I arrived back to my time. I couldn’t believe this had really happened.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous writing Ofa! Your choice of powerful describing words has given me a really clear picture in my mind and I felt like I was walking into Tania's house with you. Keep up the great work!

    Mrs Anderson :-)

    ReplyDelete